Thursday, March 21, 2024

Role-based Character Creation in Fate

 

Shadow of the Century introduced the idea of roles as a way to make characters. I was ambivalent about the system when I read it, but then I tried implementing it in my eternally incomplete Fate Fantasy game. Looking at the role system from a designer's perspective was a revelation. It's such a great way to show your players what types of characters you can play. And since you choose three roles for your character, it's so much more flexible than a template system. (To say nothing of a class system.)

So here is my Fate Fantasy character creation system. I'm eager to hear people's opinions. 

This is designed to work with Quick & Dirty Magic. Magic Finesse is the same as Spell Casting.

I took a stab at doing the same thing for Star Wars. It's not as well made, but there's no magic system to muddy the waters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Role-based Character Creation in Fate

  Shadow of the Century introduced the idea of roles as a way to make characters. I was ambivalent about the system when I read it, but the...